Should I reattempt a unit if I have failed it? What are my options if I fail a unit?


Should I reattempt a unit if I have failed it? What are my options if I fail a unit?




If you have failed a unit, you have several options listed below. You should seek academic advice from your relevant department before deciding which option is best for you. For a list of academic advisors, please see:  or check the department's website for an updated list of advisors.


1. You could reattempt the unit if it is offered in subsequent sessions. You will be able to enrol in the unit for the second time as normal on eStudent (failed units do not appear on your study plan under the 'My Enrolment' tab, but will appear on your transcript and under the 'My Results and Graduation' tab on eStudent).


* If you need to enrol in a unit for a third or subsequent time, you will need to apply for special approval (waiver) on  More information on how to apply for special approval (waiver) is here.

2. If you are unhappy with your grade and feel that you have adequate grounds, you could lodge a grade appeal. Grade appeals can be lodged on specific grounds:


For information about lodging grade appeals, see:


3. If you feel that you have experienced an unavoidable disruption to your studies during the course of the semester, you may apply to withdraw from units without academic penalty and/or financial penalty. Unavoidable disruption is defined as an event or circumstance that:
      a. could not have reasonably been anticipated, avoided or guarded against, and
      b. was beyond the student's control, and
      c. caused substantial disruption to the student's capacity for effective study and/or the completion of required work to the extent that they were unfit to complete the unit, and
      d. substantially interfered with the otherwise satisfactory fulfilment of unit program requirements.

      Applicants must establish that their circumstances meet all of the above criteria before making an application. For more information about applying for withdrawal without academic or financial penalty, please see: