How do I supply a Tax File Number?


How do I supply a Tax File Number?


In order to obtain a FEE-HELP, HECS-HELP or Student Amenities SA-HELP loan you must supply your Tax File Number (TFN) to the University by the census date. If you have a TFN you should include this in your eCAF.

If you do not have a TFN you must lodge a request for a TFN with the Australian Taxation Office. Applications are normally processed within 21 days. The Australian Taxation Office can issue you with a “Certificate of Application for a TFN” proving that you have lodged an application. The Certificate is valid for a 21 day period from the date of issue.

If you are required to lodge your eCaf before you have your TFN (for Commonwealth Supported places only) then submit your eCAF on eStudent, making sure you select the upfront payment option on the eCAF. Please note you can only do this for the HECS-HELP eCAF. You MUST have a TFN inorder to submit a FEE-HELP or SA-HELP eCAF.

Please note:

    •    you are not locked into paying upfront for your fees as long as you provide a TFN or a copy of the Certificate to the Student Connect Team by the census date
    •    you will not need to go back and change the payment option on your eCAF, as long as you have supplied your TFN by the census date or by the end of the 21 day validation period.

Once you have received your TFN contact the Commonwealth Loan Schemes Team on +61 2 9850 6188 or email Once the TFN is received you will be entitled to a HECS- HELP loan provided it is approved by the relevant census date.

Please submit an online enquiry if you need any more information about TFNs or the eCAF process.