Should I reattempt a unit if I have failed it? What are my options if I fail a unit?


Should I reattempt a unit if I have failed it? What are my options if I fail a unit?


If you have failed a unit, you have several options listed below. You should seek academic advice from your relevant department before deciding which option is best for you. Find an academic advisor.

  1. You could reattempt the unit if it is offered in subsequent sessions. You will be able to enrol in the unit for the second time as normal on eStudent (failed units do not appear on your study plan under the 'My Enrolment' tab, but will appear on your transcript and under the 'My Results and Graduation' tab on eStudent).
  2. If you are unhappy with your grade and feel that you have adequate grounds, you could lodge a grade appeal. Grade appeals can be lodged on specific grounds.
    More information about lodging grade appeals.
  3. If you feel that you have experienced an unavoidable disruption to your studies during the course of the semester, and may be eligible for Special Consideration, in which case you may apply to withdraw from units without academic penalty and/or financial penalty. 

Macquarie University defines academic unavoidable disruption as an event or circumstance that meet the following criteria:


  1. were serious, unexpected and unavoidable
  2. were beyond your control
  3. caused substantial disruption to your academic work
  4. substantially interfered with your otherwise satisfactory fulfilment of the unit requirements
  5. lasted at least three consecutive days or a total of 5 days within the teaching period and prevented completion of an assessment task scheduled for a specific date.


For more information about applying for withdrawal without academic or financial penalty, please see: