As an International Student, can I work while studying?


As an International Student, can I work while studying?


Visa Condition 8104 – Work Restrictions

Visa work restrictions are found on the Department of Home Affairs visa condition web pages.

You can only work up to 40 hours in a fortnight. A fortnight means the period of 14 days starting on a Monday.

If you are a member of the family unit of a primary student visa holder, you must not work in Australia until they have started their course. Family members of students studying a masters or a doctorate degree can work unrestricted hours once the primary student visa holder has started their course.

Note: This applies to family members of students who hold subclass 500 visa.

Unrestricted work rights also applies to family members of subclass 573 (Higher Education Sector) and subclass 574 (Postgraduate Research Sector) visa holders studying a masters by research or doctorate degree.


Understanding your work rights

The Department is working with the Fair Work Ombudsman to help employees and employers understand and follow Australian Workplace laws.

Information on pay rates, shift calculations, leave arrangements and notice and redundancy entitlements is in the Pay and Conditions Tool (PACT).

The Fair Work Ombudsman website has more information on workplace rights and entitlements for visa holders and migrant workers.

For the full list of conditions relevant to your visa, see the Federal Register of Legislation.


Tax File Number

You must obtain a Tax File Number to be able to work in Australia. Apply for your TFN online


Career and Employment service

Contact the Career and Employment service at the University for tips to undertake a successful job search.